Chokladkoppen (Stockholm, Sweden)

Thursday, January 28, 2010

No matter the season, Stockholm's Chokladkoppen is delightful. Perfectly situated in the Stortorget square, the center of Gamla Stan, it neighbors the Nobel Museum and the Swedish Academy, and only the imposing Stock Exchange Building seperates it from the Cathedral and the Royal Palace.

Everything in Stockholm is expensive, so once you surrender yourself to that idea, Chokladkoppen, where you can put down about 14$ on a slice of cake or pie and a drink and call it a meal, is a bargain.

Photo: The guilty pleasure Liisa and I counted as a meal.

I've heard the cafe is a lovely, cozy place in the winter, where you can duck in out of the cold for bowls of cocoa and hot pie. Liisa and I visited in the summer, so we sat outside in the square with iced chocolate and white chocolate cheesecake and watched the world go by instead. Everything tasted creamy and fresh, and the orange slices added a bright, tangy note to both the flavour and the presentation.

The food is delicious, the atmosphere and the location are top notch, and you won't even have to go broke to experience it. I'll definitely be returning to Chokladkoppen during my next trip to Stockholm.

Photo: Chokladkoppen is the orange building in this
picture from Wikipedia's Stortorget article.



View Larger Map

2 comments:

Roskur said...

Is "Chokladkoppen" a restaurant/house?
I thought it was the glass(cup) of chocolate itself.. that might just be because I can understand a bit of Swedish.. idk.. :P

Vandrelyst said...

Yeah, the name of the restaurant is Chokladkoppen. :P I think it does mean the cup of chocolate itself, but that is their name. I'll try to go through and make it more obvious...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin